Friday 20 March 2015

Split Sense by Barbara E. Brink

Split Sense is the first Christian Fiction of this type that I remember reading.  I have read theology, autobiographical stories of faith and devotional material, but I have not read explicitly Christian fiction. The closest I have come would be allegorical fiction books rooted in the Christian story; for example, the Narnia Series. What struck me as I read this book is that a novel needs to have a very strong story line to carry the “it is important to be saved message” so that it does not hit the non-initiated reader between the eyes and become all they see. Fortunately for readers of Split Sense, Barbara E. Brink is an exceptional story teller.  I can understand why Split Sense won the 2011 Grace Award. 

Split Sense tells the story of twins who are separated at birth. They are part of an experiment by a corrupt Pharmaceutical Company. The girl is presumed dead, but secretly rescued by a doctor who was being blackmailed by representatives of the Pharmaceutical Company. The boy is raised by a company employee who loves Zander like his own son and struggles to protect Zander from his bosses.  Both children develop exceptional abilities that bring them to the attention the corrupt board members who want to use them in their struggle for political power.


I am giving Split Sense five stars, not because I agree 100% with the theology behind it, but because Barbara E. Brink’s story telling is outstanding.  Barbara has written a wonderfully engaging book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment